Monday, April 13, 2009

Psalm 119:1-8 Aleph Stanza


As I discussed in my post yesterday, the Hebrew letter Aleph (as seen at left) carries the meaning of strength.  The original pictorgraph version of the letter closely resembled the horns and outline of an oxen's head and in conjuction with this letters place as the first letter of the Aleph-Beth carries the meaning first, strength and leadership.

In verse 1, we learn that the undefiled in the way walk in the law of the Lord.  What is the Hebrew word for law used here?  It is Torah.  Yes, the Torah.  I know ... the Torah is "the old way" and now we live in liberty.  I think we need to remember that all good things are from God (James 1:17).   God gave the Torah, so it's not Torah/bad and Jesus/good.  It's Torah/good, Jesus/better as the fulfillment of the Torah.
What are the rewards of living according to the instructions God has given?  The rewards are:
1. Be blessed (Asher - happy)
2. Walk in the way of righteousness
3. No shame
Keeping all of the instruction of God is no easy thing for people with a sin nature.  In fact, it's impossible.  Todah a El that Yeshua/Jesus fulfilled the Torah - lived a life without sin and bore the penalty for our sin so that we may be saved.  Where we fall short, Jesus is strong.  He is our High Priest who can sympathize with our weakness and intercede on our behalf because of the work that He did on the cross.  He is our Melech Tzedek - our King of Righteousness; our Melech Shalom - our King of Peace.
In this day many use "Christian"as a social moniker for advancement instead of what it is meant to mean - follower of Jesus.  I'm moving from even calling myself a Christian anymore, but rather Follow of Jesus.  Jesus is our leader.  He is our strength.  Blessed and happy are those who are followers of Jesus.  I have committed myself to walk in His ways.  When I fail?  I will look to Him who Saves.  Todah Yeshua!