Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Been Caught Sleeping

In order to remain fresh and true to my calling as a "second" man, I do several things daily. I pray, have devotions, read blogs, listen to the twittersphere, and read trade magazines such as Outreach, Collide and Relevant, etc. There are some books that I read over and over such as Second by L.E. Romaine and The Ministry of an Assisting Pastor by Larry Taylor.
This morning, while reading the latter, I was reminded of the importance of praying for my Pastor. I thought about Jesus in Matthew 26:36. Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemene, left most of the disciples except for three whom He brought with Him further into the garden. He then continued alone to a place within eyesight of Peter, James and John. While Jesus was agonizing, the three could have been praying, but what were they doing? Sleeping.
The Senior Pastor as spiritual leader, is in dire need of the prayers of his flock - especially the prayers of those whom he has chosen to allow into his direct sphere of influence. It can be so easy, however, to get caught up in other ministry stuff and neglect this extremely vital ministry.