Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Around Here Everything Screams in Silence


Tuesday, April 21 is Yom Hashoah - Holocaust Remembrance Day. On the 21st starting at 7pm, Calvary Chapel of the Triad will be showing The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas in remembrance of the 6 million Jews who were murdered during this horrible moment in history. I don't know if you are aware, but the church at large sat idly by during the Holocaust.  Not long ago, I was in Yad Vashem - the Holocaust Museum in Israel.  I was blogging this trip as we went and I thought it would be appropriate to share the portion about Yad Vashem ...

From there we travel to Yad VaShem - the holocaust Museum.

I’ve just been through a portion of the holocaust museum. I feel I can hardly breathe. I’m trying not to just break down in tears but have already done so several times. The images are horrifying but it’s the realization that people can do this to one another that really hits hard. There was a quote inscribed on a wall that made me stop dead. It said, “Around here everything screams in silence.” I don’t know who’s quote it was. Another wall was the picture of a soldier with his rifle aimed at the back of a woman trying to run away with a small child in her arms. I’m about to enter the children’s memorial but I really don’t want to. I don’t know if I can handle it. 6 million Jews were killed in the Holocaust and 1.5 million were children. Inside the memorial it’s not what I expected. The room is round an dark with mirrors and candles reflecting countless spots of light. The names of children an their ages are being read aloud. I’m not in there long … couldn’t. It’s horrible and I want to push it out of my brain but I cannot and should not. Quite frankly now I just want to be alone to sob. I’m going to stop writing for a little while.

- shawn

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for recounting our time spent at Yad Vashem. I will never forget our groups visit there when we went to Israel. Im not sure how but a couple of us where the last to get on the bus that day. Im not sure how ... but I know why. Thanks again.