Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Florida

Wow. Fort Lauderdale, Florida in July is quite hot, but that didn't stop me from getting out and making the most of the opportunity. Growing up in Alabama and having spent a lot of time in Mississippi and Louisiana as well, I kinda got used to hot weather. I remember one time when Solar Coaster was on tour and I was packed with the band gear in the bed of a covered truck in the middle of downtown Atlanta rush hour traffic in the summer. No air conditioning. I was wearing jeans and a sweater. By the time we reached our destination, the sweater had started to disintegrate. Don't know if it was the toxins in my sweat or from the truck exhaust that did it. Of course, I still wore it for that night's show ... and probably woke up the next morning in it as well. Typical for the road.

There is a certain amount of "heat" that we all deal with on a daily basis. It could be job stress or family or finances. There are going to be times when the heat is turned up and it is how we react at those times that reveals where we are in our relationship with God. I wish that I always reacted to trials in the manner of Job who said, "Naked I came from my mother's womb and naked shall I return there. The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord." Job also said, "Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him."